Thursday, July 18, 2013

Back to School Planning {sort of}


 
Ack - I'm just a little bit addicted to these books - I'm now on the 3rd one {plus I was having trouble finding number 2, so I read some of her stand alone novels}. And I have the sweetest Hub-bub. Our local library didn't have the 2nd one, so he went to our local bookstore, and they had it in the used paperback section for like $3. {And obviously, he bought it for me, and made me very happy - I think that goes without saying, but you never know!}

I had sort of said to myself - No School Work until July 15. I've been doing a lot of blog stalking and picking up freebies and that certainly blurs the line a bit. 

First of all - I need to take care of this - I have all these things in a folder called "To Print." Yikes, there's a bunch! 
 Then, I have these on a folder called "Things for This School Year" that I need to print out or do something with, so I remember to actually do them this year {because sometimes that has been an itty-bitty problem for me.}
And I want to review some things from this book - particularly things I'm going to be teaching at the first of the year.
 And I want to think about things in this book - what do I want to implement, try, see if it will work for me.


And I placed an order with these guys and got an email today that it's been shipped -
 
{although, really, doesn't it seem like it takes ForEver for stuff to get to your house from them? I order from Zappos shoes, and they like me so much it comes the next day. That could have something to do with the quantity I order from them, but whatever.} Anyway, thanks to Tammy at Forever in First, I had quite a wishlist that I narrowed down to 3 books for me and 1 book for my class.
 
And finally, today - or maybe that should be - Today, I finally got started on this. 
Have I mentioned that I hate first days? {And last days, too, but I don't have to worry about that for a bit :)}

I also want something fun, engaging, easy {for me and for them!} and that makes the time go by Fast! If you have a great suggestion that fits that criteria, please leave a comment :)

Happy Thursday all! My hub-bub and daughter are having daddy-daughter time in Denver this weekend - that might mean I really will get a good start on lessons. 

So leave a comment - if you have a terrific first day activity {see above} or if you want to tell me what you're doing this weekend.




6 comments:

  1. Sara, I was JUST thinking about all I have to print... I found so many great things at TPT and have them all ready to go- but... have to print them. And I also have our extra room full of "stuff" I have gotten (you know when we are NOT thinking of school!) that has to go to school. The floors are done next Monday so I have to go in and get the furniture placed. That will be the start of school reality, I am afraid. :) Have a GREAT weekend!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are invited to follow my Christian blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're planning already? When is your first day? (I'm not in love with the first part of the year either.) Anyway, glad I could inspire some additional purchases from Amazon. Wonder if I could get a commission of some sort!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious what you did order from Amazon...Not like I need another book or two, but always wonder what other teachers are reading.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara, I have been blurring the line all summer long! ;P I have a basket of stuff printed, but alas we are out of laminating film at school. I may have to go laminate some of it at Hobby Lobby because some of them are things I need for bulletin boards.
    The first day of school, I haven't any great ideas, but I am really good at pinning really good ideas. ;P You might check out my pinterest board, "First Grade Beginning of School"
    This weekend, I'm going to rest from all the work I have been doing in my classroom and take Delaney to a birthday party.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE Sophie Kinsella books! I also have a folder called "print" just waiting to be gone through. My favorite first day thing is to give them some shaving cream. I ask them to write their name, draw shapes and write some numbers. A quick assessment for me and some fun for them.
    Sara
    Polka Dot Kinders

    ReplyDelete