Monday, August 12, 2013

How'd I do?

Way back in May, the end of the school year was fast approaching and summer was beckoning. And I made a Summer Bucket List. That was when 90 days stretched out in front of me, like an endless ocean. And now, this morning, summer is over. I wanted to take a peek back and see how I did. {A little accountability never hurt anybody :) }

1) I wanted to not think or worry about school until July 15. Well, I'm not sure how I did on this. I did lots of thinking about school, but I don't feel like I've done much productive work getting ready. I feel like, as I head back for 3 days of in-service, that I'm not quite as ready as I usually am. I'm ready enough - we'll make it through - but just not like I'd like. 

2) I wanted to particularly think through my math as related to Common Core, especially through the first 9 weeks. Umm, no! But I've got some pretty great ideas for the first 2 weeks. 
     Our 2nd grade team abandoned the math workbooks for this year, so I'm trying to find some engaging, hands on activities. I think I've done good with what I've gotten done.

3) Exercise - Yes! I made myself a little calendar and strived to get 150 minutes a week of exercise in. I made it most weeks. Last week I was saved by a co-worker who wanted to walk at the Relay for Life walkathon on Saturday evening. Happy about this one!

4) Crafts - Yes! My daughter and I bleached t-shirts, did mosaics, painted pottery, did tiles, and some other stuff this brain can't think of right now. Fun, fun, glad we did!

5) Spend time with my girl - Yes! 
          First, I have to tell you - a week ago Sunday, we bought her a laptop. I was jokingly thinking to myself, we should have done this a long time ago. Always before, she would spend some time with us, and then head downstairs to the desktop computer. Now, she has her laptop, and even though her head is buried in it, she'll listen to me, or let me drop a kiss on her forehead, or get her a snack :)
        Anyway, we have watched multiple episodes of West Wing - our summer show, done lots of crafts (see above), done things together around the house - chores {yuck}, refinished the dining room table, etc. 
It's been a GREAT Summer with her! So very happy about this one.

So you might infer from all this that I made my personal goals, while my school/professional goals are a little more iffy. 

How many of you are going back today or this week? My class roster shows 16, but I'm pretty sure it's going to end up being more than that. I'm trying to be excited about in-services, but that's taking a little work. 

Have a good day, whatever you happen to be doing!



2 comments:

  1. How does summer FLY that fast?! I know what you mean! I am with you with the laptop, too. That made me smile. Just having the kids THERE with you is enough sometimes. I'm glad you got to spend lots of time with your daughter. Mine comes home in a few days for a couple weeks before college so I can't wait to spend time with her!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds to me like you did a great job with your summer. I'm not due back until next Monday, but I'm back unofficially this week. 16 kids? Sweet! I'll be around 24. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete