Sunday, May 22, 2016

Being Called Mom

OK, first I have to say that I am not happy with Yahoo or Google or somebody who is making it very hard for me to get into my blog.  That's all I'm saying about that!

Second, school's out for summer! And I'm alternating between doing a happy dance, and yelling, "No! I'm not ready yet!"

Third, I have this little friend. Or should I say I had this little friend. He was an interesting character. Always yelling out -- and sometimes the most off-topic things. The biggest one that sticks out in my mind is when he yelled, "I pooped my pants!" Umm, thanks for sharing. {And NO, he had not pooped his pants!} 

Throughout the year, he would sometimes call me 'mom' and a couple times, he asked if I couldn't be his mom.  

The last two weeks, the behaviors were going through the roof, and though I'd made it pretty much through the year without getting too upset at him, the Friday before school was out, I had had it! 

I'm slow to catch on, but a weekend away helped me take a minute to reflect, and I was able to go back with a good attitude on Monday. And part of that was because I realized this little friend is going home to a chaotic house, where "mom" is grandma, and mom, who is around, isn't really a mom at all. Our classroom was mostly stable and consistent. And perhaps unconsciously, he was realizing what the end of the school year meant for him. 

One winter break, I read a blog post by some lovely person {whom I can't remember now} who said something like -- enjoy your break, but remember for some of our kiddos, break is tough; it's not relaxing, it's not necessarily fun. 

This really isn't much more than a reflection piece for me, because I really want to remember my little friend. I want to remember that I was {mostly} able to find a way to work with him. And I wish I could do that with all my kids.  








2 comments:

  1. Awwww Sara. Such a sweet memory. So nice that you were so much more to him than his teacher. Have a great summer! (and I hope that he does also.)
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. You obviously were a safe place for this little guy. Well done, Sara.

    ReplyDelete