Monday, March 4, 2019

Things aren't always what they seem


We have a pregnant teacher at our school who got put on bedrest. So we all rallied around and contributed money for gift cards. I told the gal who organizes these things that I'd go get the gift cards. So I did. {I love that I work at a generous school!}

And then, I texted the pregnant gal and said "I've got a surprise for you. When can I bring it?" It was like 9:30 in the morning. She said she was going to the doctor's. 

I text again, probably around 11:30. "How about now?" "Running some errands," she said. Me, ever thinking (and probably a bit lazy, and it was spitting sleet/snow) "Could you run by here?" No answer. 

Finally, at 3:30, thinking that the weather was going to get worse, and wanted to get this little job done with, I texted something like "Can I bring this to you? You don't have to answer the door, and I won't stay and talk." 

And so she sent me her address and I hopped in the car. And as I was on my way, she said they could stop by my house. I said no, I was almost to her place. 

We met there. And she looked worn out. They had gone to get tags for their new vehicle and it had taken a lot longer than they had thought it would.  

And I realized I was getting impatient with her for not letting me take care of this big, important job I had to do.... and meanwhile, she had a whole different thing going on. Things aren't always what they seem.  

And I wondered how often this happens with the kids I come into contact with. That bad mood might not have anything to do with me.... but I sure can make it better, or worse. That hoodie over the head... might be a signal for something, that I can either try to figure out, or just flat out ignore. And so on. 

Things aren't always what they seem.







2 comments:

  1. The post is very amazing around the world many people want to read this type of post.

    Regards,
    Online Dissertation Proposal

    ReplyDelete