Monday, November 12, 2012

Grace

 


Oh, my goodness gracious! Two weeks since I've posted on my blog.  What happened? Well, my hubby got pretty sick and we had to go to the Big City to find out what the deal was - and it turns out it was food poisoning. I told my sister it's a little strange when you are happy that it's just food poisoning.  He was a miserable guy for several days, but he's better now. 

This has kind of been on my mind to write about, and then I got zinged again today, so I thought I'd go ahead and do a post on it.

For a little background: In my classroom, the kids' coats aren't in a separate room. We just have hooks on the back wall and they put their coats and backpacks there. I've sort of had a standing rule that you don't get in your backpack during the day. Sometimes if they ask, I'll let them get something out of there - like my little friend that has asthma and needs her inhaler :)

But this year I've had a bunch of kids forget and leave their library books in their backpack. So when they want to go to the library, I've been a bit of a meanie and said no, they can't go get their books. If they have them the next day, and remember to get them out, I try to make it a point to let them go.

Well, something got me thinking about this. (Yuck, sometimes I hate that!) How many times have I wished for a little grace or mercy? The latest was today, when I forgot to write down that my gluten intolerate student was eating at school. I got a "fun" reminder email from the secretary. (I wanted to say, what about all the times I DID remember? but oh, well.)

I guess what I'm thinking about is does this need to be something that I need to be so strict about? What does it matter if tomorrow, on our library day, about 5 kiddos that forgot their library books in their backpacks go get them so, yahoo, they can check out new books.

I've been reading "Teaching with Intention" by Debbie Miller.
9781571103871

As I start this book, she asks, what do you want your classroom to look like? Well, what I've said to myself is that I want my room to be welcoming, inviting, you are wanted. How does that correlate with how I act? Maybe this is just a small thing, but maybe it's really a big thing.

What are you "thinking" about concerning your teaching? What's giving you pause? What are you considering changing up a little to hopefully make things better?

Happy full week before Thanksgiving - at least here it is - we don't get Veteran's Day off.
Sara

2 comments:

  1. That's a wonderful book. It really makes one think, doesn't it? Thank you for sharing your reflections today. It pushes the rest of us to do the same.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete