Saturday, January 25, 2014

Catching Readers





I was told by a knowledgeable student that I was supposed to wear my pjs inside out, flush two ice cubes down the toilet and sleep with spoons under my pillow to make a snow day happen. I did not do any of that - and I guess that's the reason we didn't have a snow day on Thursday. We have another chance on Monday - so maybe I need to get on the ball Sunday night. 

I mentioned in another post that I was leading a book study loosely based on this book:


{It's really just an excuse for me to make the time to read this book!} 

I was looking at Chapter 7 - I Thought I Knew How to Teach Reading, but Whoa! Whoa is right! Much of the discussion is for students that are in earlier grades, but it seems every year I have one or two {or, yikes! more!!} that are still struggling to read. Well, let me clarify - I always have students that are lower than we'd like on their DRA - but those 1 or 2 students are considerably below where they should be. 

"The best thing is to catch it (dependency on the teacher) and encourage self-monitoring from the very start" (page 123). Do you have students that don't even realize that they've made a mistake, particularly when it's one that doesn't make sense?? When the authors talked about self-monitoring, I realized this is something that many of my students don't do. So, here's something to work on for me {and my kiddos - even though they don't know it yet!}

When I got done with Chapter 7, I just couldn't stop - so I kept reading - Chapter 8 - Comprehension. 

"Comprehension strategies are not an end in themselves, but rather a means to understanding. Our classroom instruction must reflect this." - the authors are quoting Harvey and Goudvis. The authors also discuss the difference between spotlighting a strategy and heavy-handed teaching. 

Ack - I think I'm guilty of heavy-handed teaching. Our basal reader has a strategy for the week - and that's what I focus on. At one point in the chapter, the authors ask if the strategy is something you as a teacher use when you are reading. Well, this week our comprehension strategy was story structure. For me personally, I do sometimes make lists of characters and their relationships to each other if I'm getting confused. But what about beginning, middle, end? I guess, yes, I think about these things. I guess what was a light bulb moment for me was when the authors said, "The teacher treats the strategy as the end goal" {heavy handed} versus "Teacher gives time for students to talk about how the strategy helps them understand the story." {spotlighting}

Anyway, this has given me lots of food for thought. If you've read Catching Readers - what are your thoughts??






13 comments:

  1. I have not read the book but it sounds great! Might need to look into that one. Thanks!

    Amanda
    A Very Curious Class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could send some of our snow your way - it seems as though it just won't stop here. Teaching reading sure is tricky business. Thanks for some good information to think over. I think I am going to have to read that book this summer. Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are so dry here - we would welcome some snow - not to mention a snow day!
      I like how you said that - teaching reading is tricky! So true!
      Sara

      Delete
  3. Those are great chapters. The one on comprehension still makes my head hurt. The authors get us thinking and reflecting though. Good stuff!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yeah - somebody else who's heading is spinning! Oh, that sounds terrible - but I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that's working through all this! I think you were the one that mentioned this book - it's been a good one! Thanks for sharing this resource. Sara

      Delete
  4. Love the ritual for getting a snow day. I have a special dance. We haven't danced it yet, but perhaps soon??? Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, we haven't had a snow day yet this year - and it will be the first year that I can remember if we don't have one. Care to YouTube your dance - lol?
      You have a great weekend, too!

      Delete
  5. Another great post. I really need to get that book! I am guilty of being heavy handed like you. I sure don't spend the time to spotlight the strategy like they said. :/ When my daughter was in kdg, she was reading to me. She misread the word cat for can. When she got to the end of the sentence, she stopped with a puzzled look on her face and then went back to read it again. The second time she read the word correctly. This probably sounds dumb, but I was so happy to witness it, I almost cried. It is really hard to get some students to pay attention to what they are even reading to realize that it isn't making sense. I have more than I would like with that problem.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this book a few years ago...but I think it's time for me to reread. I love finding books like this that make you think about your own teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know how I just saw this! I lead a book study about this book on my blog last summer. You can find my thoughts on it here http://1stinmaine.blogspot.com/2013/06/crbtf-book-study-guide.html and then by searching for CRBTF on my blog. I am interested to see what you think.

    Kimberley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I don't know how I'm just replying!
      I had actually already blog stalked you and seen your book study. Wish I would have seen it to do it with you. I really like the book - and other people's thinking!
      Sara

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete