Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Connecting

Hello Friends -- 

No count down here, as one of my regular readers requested I not do that - LOL.  

That same regular reader -- well, I read her blog, too. And a while back, Tammy said something on her blog that caught my eye:

Early in the day before I had even learned all their names I said these words. "I loved you before you even showed up today" and I meant it.

I like that sentiment. But I'm just not that person. Probably won't say "I love you" to my kiddos. So I started thinking -- what could I say to my new 2nd graders to make them feel welcome, to let them know they are special to me, to make that connection that Tammy is talking about? 

I've thought of a couple phrases:
I've been thinking about you. 
I've been waiting to meet you. 
I'm excited to meet you and learn more about you.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this yet, but I certainly like the idea! Thanks, Tammy!! 








6 comments:

  1. I'm like you in that I don't really say "I love you" to my students. I'm just not that person either. :) That's ok. It doesn't mean we don't appreciate our time with them or enjoy them. I like the different alternatives you came up with, though.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy always makes me think too! I love the idea of that. I think whatever you decide it is probably going to be the first time some of these kids hear that sentiment and it will be really meaningful to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read that post too! I'm praying for my students already. I have a difficult class coming up, and I know they would become 'mine' eventually. But I'm praying I can love them right from the start! I like the things you've come up with to fit you--especially the one about waiting to meet them.

    Crystal
    Teaching Little Miracles

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful idea. I'm going to use it. Thanks for sharing it.
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your ideas! Last year before school started, I was talking to God about my kids and asked him to give me a love for them before I even met them. That's not something I've been really great at. I do believe he intervened for me. I really did love them before they arrived. After the class I had just finished with, I needed a group to love on. Anyway, thanks for reflecting with me about this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been off and on praying for my new class -- your comments have reminded me I need to be more intentional about that. Thanks! Sara

      Delete