Friday, September 28, 2012

Apple Day




I have to give my co-teacher credit for this...I didn't think of it at all. And it worked out great for two reasons. 
First, for the past two years, we've had a school wide behavior plan, and students that met expectations were able to attend a fun event at the end of every month. Those that didn't - well, they went to sad times (writing about their bad behavior).
But this year, the school wide behavior was turned over to the classroom teachers - by grade level. So we needed to think of something for that. 
And 2nd - well, it was just a fun day :)
So we (or should I say, She - my co-teacher) planned an apple day. We had apple races, wore Johnny Appleseed hats (pots), and did a couple other fun outside activities.
Then we headed inside for some more apple activities. First, we tasted Granny Smith, Red Delicious and Gala apples. Then we graphed which they liked. Most students like Granny Smith - What? Those are SO tart. Well, whatever. 
 


Next they got a cup of apple juice and one of apple cider. After they tried both of those, we graphed which one they liked best. We had apple juice, apple cider or both. Both won. 


(OK, ours didn't look all fancy like this :)

Then they got to try some dried apples and some applesauce. Those silly heads scarfed that down. Ok, that makes me think some of them are just really hungry. (And then I think about how I act when I'm really hungry - hmm.)

It was a fun day. Better than I thought it might turn out. Of course, we had some extra help that cut apples up for us - Thank You! And for the first time in a couple years, I actually had parents come. Thank You! 

At the end of the day, a parent caught me to talk about some behavior concerns. Yeah - she was Very Supportive. But it got me to thinking. I need to send notes - before conferences - to some other parents. So they aren't surprised. And I don't mean in a good way. 

Happy Friday - it was! Happy Weekend to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment