Friday, December 13, 2013

Guided Reading Question

Oh, I have so much to tell you! 

First - another round of thinking out loud. {I got really good feedback on my desk question! Thanks!!} Do you do this? In Guided Reading, I jot little notes while my students read.  I've been putting it on a form like this:
{And you may be saying, of course I do that! Jump into the 2010's Mrs. S.!} I have each students' number and I put my little notes there. I try really hard to jot something about each child at least once a week. 

As I'm jotting these notes, it's good because it helps me stay focused. And when my student gets done reading, I have something to say besides, "Good job." But I've been thinking that I don't really refer back to that too much - I think because each student is on there - so I'm not really able to see what a particular student has been doing over the course of a month or whatever. So I made a form like this:

 And my thought was I could have a sheet for each child and basically have 9 weeks of data about one child on one page - and might see some patterns, etc. But then I started thinking - this year, that would be 18 piece of paper. I was sorta imagining myself trying to keep that organized - and finding the one child that is right at that second reading to me. 

So I'm wondering - any thoughts. Do you jot about your students while they are doing guided reading? How do you do it?

And this is pretty cool to me. We had indoor recess at least 3 of 5 days last week. And 4 of my little sweeties made a book. {I really wonder about their choice of a cover, but whatever!} I think it's about volcanoes - they are learning about that in science. Anyway, they wanted to put it in the class library. And what teacher wouldn't say "sure" to that! So not only do we have some class books {thanks to some posts at Forever in First}, but we also have one totally created by students book. 
I know I said I had a lot to tell you, but I'm going to save the rest for later. Heck, I might post every day for the next couple days. Ha! 
Happy Friday - and one more week to go!! Ho Ho Ho












4 comments:

  1. I do not jot notes, so I am eager to see what others have to say, and you, too! Thanks for starting a conversation...
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's interesting how we all do such different things. I'd love to come visit your class and see how things work for you!
      Sara

      Delete
  2. I've tried several things throughout the years. I'm soon to be trying something else. Maybe I'll post about it IF it works. :) Thanks for the shout out. Love classroom books!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you are trying. It seems like I'm forever trying to adjust things!
      Thanks for the shared/classroom book ideas! I'm loving them this year!
      Sara

      Delete