Friday, March 1, 2013

Just a little something

I have a little friend in my class - she tends to drive me crazy! 

She blurts out answers, and if she does remember to raise her hand, she does the Uhn, Uhn noise so I'll notice her. She's always bossing just about everyone in my room {sometimes even ME!}. When I'm teaching, I can almost count on her finding something in her desk to play with. She fights with people I partner her with. She always wants to be first - first in line, first to do whatever (and while I usually like that, in this case it means she's rushing and running). And she likes to tattle.

Am I the only one with a sweetie like this? 

Wednesday, she was just super annoying to me. 

And that night, I started thinking about her. She has a rough home life. Mom was a guest of the state for a while, and even now this girl seems to alternate between living with grandma and mom. A couple times when I've been driving to school (45 minutes early), I've seen this girl running to catch up with her sister and her sister's friend as they come to school, and they aren't even trying to wait for her. She doesn't seem to "get" how to make friends, or even treat people. Nobody came to conferences to visit with me about her.  

And argh, I started thinking, I wonder if she feels like nobody cares about her. And so some of the things she does (see above), are attention getters - not really annoy-the-teacher things :) {since it's already March 1st, you might say I'm a slow learner, but I don't know.}

We have 2 weeks until Spring Break. I decided that I'm going to try, every day, to do 5 positives with this girl. Thursday, I walked by her and gave her a quick rub on the back. I sometimes write little "good on you" notes to my kids and I wrote one to her. I wrote a quick positive on her center paper. I made sure I complemented her for her math work. 

Maybe it will make a difference, maybe not. But can it really hurt anything? 
   

6 comments:

  1. I have a couple like that and positives totally help with them! Even the smallest little positive attention works! Good luck!

    Kimberly Ann
    Live, Laugh, I LOVE Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely have a few of those myself! I love your idea and I am so glad you posted this; I think I will give this method a try too. Good luck!!

    Aimee
    Primarily Speaking

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I know it can be hard! I'm encouraging a couple of the teachers at my school to do the same...and I KNOW it's hard, but like you said, it can't hurt:)

    We are ALL Special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing what you are doing. I have a friend that could use some attention/love as well. You have inspired me to be proactive this week.
    Alyce

    Mrs. Bartel’s School Family

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a little darling like that. He just moved to another state but the positive attention did help. It was hard to find them too some days. I had to keep reminding myself that I might be the only one giving encouraging attention all day or any attention for that fact.

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies, thanks for your kind comments and encouragement! I should have read this post every morning before kids got in the room - because I don't think I did very well last week. Maybe after Spring Break, I'll be revitalized and willing to give it another go!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete