Wednesday, April 30, 2014

This was cool

... and cooler than I thought it would be.

Yesterday, we had the dairy people come to our school. 
 Never mind that both the temperature and the wind were hovering at around 40. Yes, that's 40 degrees and 40 mph. {Makes for a lovely combination if you're outside!}

This is the dairy lady and Tiny her cow. 

The dairy lady was pretty smart. She started off by having us all say "ewwww." And after we did, she said we couldn't say that again during the whole day, because everything that Tiny did was natural and what she was supposed to do. 

And then she talked about using cow poop for fertilizer. Ha, good thing we had already said our one Ewww for the day!

Then she explained that Tiny had to be about two years old and have a calf before she would produce milk. I'm such a city girl {even in this rural community} that I didn't know that - what a duh! And that cows don't have udders - they have one udder with four parts. {Oh, I bet my blogging friend Alyce is laughing at me now!}

The dairy lady said that the milk we drink from the store has never been touched by human hands - hmm, interesting. She wiped the udder, and dried it and hooked it up to a pumping machine - and there came the milk!

I wasn't sure how much of this connected with my kids - especially since we might have spent some of time thinking about how really freezing cold we were. But once we got back inside {and I left my coat on!} I asked them about it - and they could name all the steps to getting the milk, including the calf part. 

Oh yeah! this was good!






8 comments:

  1. That sounds like a great time- minus the weather... I love her idea of saying "ewwww" and getting it over with! Sounds like she may have heard that a time or two... ha!
    Carolyn
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea, the ewww lasted all day! I was pleasantly surprised at how much my kids remembered from the visit, even today!

      Delete
  2. Not laughing at all! I didn't know that either. Especially not laughing about being outside yesterday. I recognize that trailer, we have had them also, and they do a wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was really interesting - and geared toward our kids. And my husband said when he was driving home tonight the trailer was parked at the motel down the street. So I'm gonna drive by it tomorrow and take a pic for the kids. I bet they'll like that! Sara

      Delete
  3. Sounds cold but very interesting.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh too cold! I left my coat on for like a half hour after we got back inside! Brrr. Sara

      Delete
  4. We have had a dairy truck come to our school before. The kids were full of questions because fortunately for us the weather was nicer. We were enjoying the same type of weather last week. I don't know about you but I am more than ready for winter to take it's final bow this year.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really a neat experience, at least for me! And then, the next morning I saw the dairy mobile parked at the motel down the street from my house. Just too funny. Sara

      Delete