Saturday, January 31, 2015

Bingo, part 2





Last week was a little chaotic for me. I said good-bye to College Girl Sunday night when I went to bed. And after I went to work on Monday, she left to go back to College Town. 

But, as crazy as it might seem, I had bought tickets for "Chicago" and it was on Saturday. So I trucked up to College Town to see College Girl and Chicago - which was a wonderful experience {once I got past the dancers wearing not a lot! I'm so Midwestern!!} So my time without seeing College Girl was basically four days. Not too bad :) 

And while I was visiting her, trying to be all quiet in the motel room while she slept, I was playing this:


You might even say, addictively playing this Bingo game. {And yes, they have Christmas hats on because it's a Christmas game.} 

And I tried to write about it, but I don't think I did a very good job {I really had a lot going on - being quiet, seeing College Girl, watching Chicago!}

I play this game - and I get rewards. But the rewards aren't anything I can touch (really) or use {for anything but more Bingo playing} or eat or anything like that. It's just another ticket to play another game, or a jewel to get more rewards, or a little icon that I'm supposed to collect so I can get more rewards. And I get rewarded for winning, and I get rewarded for just playing. Really, it's all rather silly. But I love playing it!

And that's what I was trying to say in my last blog post. Especially for math, I'd like to figure out a way to "reward" my kids for just playing - just participating. Oh, it'd be a nightmare, because I'm not a big gaming corporation that can put together all these rewards. 

But I think about my little friends that are trying so hard, but double digit subtraction just doesn't make sense. And they look at me with their big puppy eyes as I try to ask questions to get them to figure out where to get some more ones, or what to do once you get those ones. 

As I was typing this, I just started thinking I'm not doing any better job of explaining. But then, I had a little light-bulb moment. I started thinking that to me, the rewards (which are really nonexistent) would just be a way of recognizing that, yes, my little friend you are working hard, and yes, little friend, I know it's hard and frustrating, but just keep on trying. I know you will get it.






1 comment:

  1. I'm trying to teach my kids perseverance. I tried out a lesson I saw on a blog. I handed out warheads to everyone. They are extremely sour for the first minute and then they sweeten up. The kids had to persevere through the hard part to get to the reward. It hit home. :)

    ReplyDelete