Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Good Reads

Mrs. Stanford is having a Good Reads Linky Party - What a great idea! I love to read!

I have a couple of professional books I like. The first is:
cover of The First Six Weeks of School
A friend gave this to me at the end of the year last year - I read it and tried to implement some of the ideas. I'm hoping to implement more this year. They also have a website with a blog that has ideas if you don't want to buy the book - Responsive Classroom. Anyway, obviously lots of ideas for the first of the school year and creating a good classroom environment.

Another I like is:

Very short chapters with specific ideas on how to get the most from your students. It was a little overwhelming to me at first, so I picked 5 ideas and tried them over the year. They really do make a difference. The first idea he teaches is "No Opt Out." Everyone has to participate; if you ask and they don't or won't answer, find someone who will and then come back to the first kiddo. I've tried this and they know I'll come back to them, so they listen for the answer.
And last...

I went to a workshop that an associate of Debbie Diller's did and it really changed the way I had my classroom arranged. I turned it 90 degress and it has just made a world of difference. I need to reread it and see if I want to make any changes before next school year.
So those are my suggestions. What books are on your summer reading list?
 Mrs. Stanford's Class

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up!! Debbie Diller is my hero <3 that's a great read!

    Jessica Stanford

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the good idea for a linky! Have a good summer
      Sara

      Delete
  2. I found some useful things in Teach Like A Champion as well. I am also a Debbie Diller fan-I get to see her speak in July--very excited!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm a little jealous that you actually get to hear/see Deb Dilller. Enjoy the conference!
      Sara

      Delete
  3. I found you at Jessica's linky party. I am definitely going to have to check out these books. If you get them read you will have to let us know what you think. I am your newest follower. If you get a chance, stop by my blog. I am still learning the ins and outs :)

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually read parts of all three - they all have good idea to use in your classroom.
      I'll be sure to stop by your blog and see what you've got going.
      Enjoy your last few days!
      Sara

      Delete
  4. Hi! Great read choices! I'm a new follower! Love for you to stop by my new blog too!
    Tori

    Tori's Teacher Tips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tori - ill be stopping by your blog soon - did you make a summer reading list?
      Sara

      Delete
  5. Hi!
    My name is Sara too (without the h)! And I teach second grade. I'm definitely going to check out the Debbie Diller book - love her stuff!

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Debbie Diller. Good choices.

    ~April @ ideabackpack.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your blog and that is why I'm passing on the One Lovely Blog Award to you!!

    Blessings,

    Jessica Stanford
    Mrs. Stanford's Class Blog
    My TpT Store

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had Spaces and Places on my Amazon wishlist forever. Maybe I should make that one of my summer reads!

    Your newest follower,
    Stephany
    http://primarypossibilities.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you are designer challenged like me, the Deb Diller book is a good choice. Read it before the end of summer, though.
      Thanks for following.
      Sara

      Delete
  9. Awesome book choices!

    I'm your newest follower! :)

    Holly
    Crisscross Applesauce in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following - your blog is a fun read.
      Have a terrific weekend.
      Sara

      Delete