Sunday, August 24, 2014

First Day - What we did

Hub-bub and I just got back from a whirlwind trip to take College Girl the rest of her stuff. She's sharing a university owned apartment with four other girls - and I think liking it very much. Mainly because they have a kitchen. Last year in the dorm, she was on the 10 meals in a week plan, and one week she texted me and said she had actually used all the meals in her plan. Ummm, thank you girly for using that which we have already paid for. 

Anyway, we got to see her a bit - OK, take her out for meals - between her shifts at her new job as a desk person at a dorm.

Anyway, anyway, I just realized, that after all my indecision - see here - about what to do on the first day of school, I never reported back on that.

I did go ahead and do my iPad version of Grover reading "There's a Monster at the End of the Book." It was perfect. Each student got to touch something on the iPad to make it do something - turn the page, untie ropes, bust down a wall - and they were relaxed and giggling during it. It just worked. 

And then, I gave them each a piece of paper, and had them make their own monster. I got my scrap box out, but I'm not sure that many used it. 



Well, I guess some did. This was a great activity, because it gave them some time to work and chat. And it gave me some time to go around the room and visit with each student - and go back around and visit again. And, most importantly of all, it was pretty stress-less for me! That's a win in my book. 

{Oh, by the way, I have more than 14 students - not everybody got done on the first day. Just so you're not all jealous or something :)}

And the nicest thing - I got a note from a boy's mom - she was telling me some things she was concerned about, but then she said that her son couldn't stop talking about our day, so she thought things would be OK. Yes! Yes! I think so, too!!







3 comments:

  1. I love reports like that from parents, especially when it comes to the first days of school when some times it feels like mostly what we do is just figure out how to be first graders. :)
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always kinda wondered if anybody requested me, or was happy they got me - so yes, this was a very nice note.
      Sara

      Delete
  2. What a fun idea!! Glad it turned out good for you! Happy weekend!!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete