Thursday, October 16, 2014

It's Not a Race

My district is using Engage NY for our math curriculum. 

Personally, it's been hard for me to figure out where I'm going with it.

Our district at first told us to do one lesson a day. 

Then they told us we could take two days for a lesson. 

I took that to mean, take two days for a lesson. 

Then I found out that I was behind my teammates at my school. 

Then I found out I was behind other teachers in the district. 

And I started to get heart palpitations. 
And started wondering how I could get us caught up. 

Because the first teacher to the end of all the lessons is the winner. Right?  Right????

Ummm..... 

What would I tell my kids? 

It's not a race. 

That's right, Mrs. S. It's not a race.

For myself, I really need to continue to figure out how best to teach this math, so I can do my best to help my students.

Now if I just had a witty comeback for anybody who asked what lesson I was on!




12 comments:

  1. I totally relate!!! You are right! What is important is that the kids learn. Are you doing the modules?! Sometimes teacher meetings stress me out so much! It's not a race!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Carolyn, we are using the NY Engage Modules and the pacing guide originally had us following them to the end of the year all neat and tidy. That's not going to happen :) And yes, teacher meetings are stressful, especially when they keep changing their minds!
      Thanks for the encouragement!
      Sara

      Delete
  2. How about... "My students are learning_______ right now". Would that work? Are you able to advance the students who are ready and keep those who need more time back to give them the practice they need?
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann - I like your sentence stem :)
      I've tried to figure out how to do some math rotations/stations, and can't get it to work yet. That's something I need to keep thinking about.
      Sara

      Delete
  3. I agree also!!! We used Everyday Math at my old school and if I followed the pacing guide, we went on to the next subject when I knew half of the kids didn't "get it". It absolutely drove me crazy. Sometimes we just have to close our door and do what is right.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - I like the close the door thought. Sometimes ya just gotta do that!
      Sara

      Delete
  4. Good luck Sara! Do what is best for your students. I understand wanting to be at the same place, but ENY goes fast! Hope you have a great weekend!
    Alyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyce - I keep tinkering with things - I want to stay positive and think I'll get something figured out.
      Thanks for the encouragement.
      Sara

      Delete
  5. I wish I had some words of ENY wisdom, but I don't. You shouldn't feel bad about moving at the pace your kids need to move. You're doing what's best for them, and that's who it should be about.
    Sarah from Mrs. Jones Teaches :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - Thanks so much for the encouragement. Sometimes that's all I need to hear!
      Sara

      Delete
  6. I love your honest thoughts. This is a perfect post, and you're the perfect one to figure out what will work best for your little ones.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete