Sunday, October 19, 2014

Touching Base


Maybe you read this post by Angela at The Cornerstone.

For me, it was a good reminder to touch base with all the little warm bodies in my room. I've been a bit of a slacker this year. 

Each morning at my school, our students head to the big gym to wait for us and for school to start. We've had to pick our kids up 5 minutes earlier than last year because of scheduling. For some reason, this has meant that many mornings, I just don't get to the "check my email" part. So I've been checking it as soon as I get back to the room  - with the kids. They are supposed to be reading. 

After I read Angela's post - I just started wandering around the room. I'd stop every once in a while and ask, What are you reading? Do you like it? Why do you like it? {And to somebody that has two books sitting on their desk} Which do you like best? 

It's not exactly 2 minutes with my worst, ummm, most exciting and interesting students {I have a really good class this year!!}, but it is a chance to connect with some of the quiet ones who would never come over and talk to me, but will talk if I go to them. 

What easy little strategies are you using to connect with your students? 


4 comments:

  1. A great reminder. It's hard when you have big classes-I have 26 this year and sometimes feel like I don't check in often enough with all of them. I shake each hand every morning and ask how they are doing, how's their baby sister, did you see the Texans game (we have some already avid fans)-they always seem so surprised when you remember something they mentioned.

    Not Just Child's Play

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack! 26!! That would be difficult. I admire you and all the things I read about you doing on your blog. And I bet they are a little surprised when you remember those special little things!
      Sara

      Delete
  2. It's not always easy to make a connection with every single one, but it's a goal I'm constantly working on.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy, I'm just not good at remembering little things they tell me, that I know are important to them. I thought about taking a notebook around with me, but was afraid that would seem a little artificial. Bleeck! Sara

      Delete