Saturday, October 5, 2013

Necessary and Exciting

One exciting thing and one necessary thing happened in my classroom this week. 

First, the necessary. I have been meaning, since like spring break last year, to find the time to do a big purge in my room. Just hasn't happened. Last year, I was full of spending all the time I could with my soon to be college girl - and just being plain ole tired. This year, I find that I don't want to spend a Saturday up at the school, all by myself, sorting stuff. Argh, what to do, what to do. 

Well, what I decided to do was just stay an hour extra one night a week (or every two weeks, however my life plays out). And then I work on whatever is making me the most nuts. Like this week - I have these cool roll out drawers - three drawers that roll out. Perfect for putting posters, charts, etc. Except with all the crap {is that a bad word?} I had in there, I couldn't lift up things to see what was at the bottom of one of the drawers. So I spent Monday going through that. Yikes, what a bunch of stuff I had in there. Some of it was a little scary. I filled up a whole paper box of stuff to get rid of. 
{I am sure there is a reason all my iPhone pics are blurry and it probably has very little to do with the iPhone and a lot to do with the operator. I think I'm moving before the picture is done taking... anyway} And a small dry erase board and a pocket chart with like a hundred little pockets that I have never used, not one single time in the 5 years I've been in this room. It really might be time to let this go. 

Next, the exciting thing. And this is a biggie! 



New desks! {Again, what's with the blurry?!?!?} But really, new desks should be more like
New Desks! 
These are so nice - our old desks had the storage area beside the leg opening, so the top of the desk was wider and consequently all the desks took up a lot of room in my room. These new desks have the storage area under the top and so the top is not as wide and consequently I have more available space in my room. I still need to do some tweaking - some rearranging, etc. But I am really happy with these. And one of my kids was so funny, she said, "We get to keep these all year??" Umm, yes, probably until I retire!


Hope that you had something exciting happen in your little corner of the world this week. Happy weekend!





6 comments:

  1. Sara, YAY for both those things! Isn't it a great feeling to hoe out?! And by the way, sometimes "crap" is the only word you can use! :) Love the new desks!
    Carolynl
    Kindergarten: Holding Hands and Sticking Together

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great feeling to get the "shovel" going. Just gotta keep it up!
      Sara

      Delete
  2. Congrats on the clean room and new desks. By the way, that orange wall looks very similar to the one I had in my previous building. It had a door in it that could open up into the next classroom.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man - did you teach in southwest Kansas? Haha. My orange wall does have a little door that opens to the next door classroom - and the wall even folds up so the two classes can be together. I'm learning to love the orange :)
      Sara

      Delete
  3. I love it when I get rid of "stuff". It justs seems to be a teachers nature to hang on to things. I love those big desks, but I totally agree with you that they take up too much space. The teacher next to me had them last year and the kids had so much trash in them, it wasn't funny.
    Kelly
    I'm Not Your Grandpa, I'm Your Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, don't we teachers love our stuff! I have got to keep working on getting rid of stuff. I'm trying to decide what area of my room to hit next. I'm loving the extra space I have with the new desks - and I never thought of the added bonus - they can only keep so much stuff in them!
      Sara

      Delete